Monday, September 29, 2008

Change is Good

I have no idea why I'm sitting to blog, of all things. I have to leave here in 10 minutes to pick up Little Boy at school! Yet, here I am anyway!

Last week, Hubby went to the Dr. and was told he needed to change some things. He has high blood pressure, is overweight, has high triglycerides, and very low good cholesterol. Not good. And so we begin the process of changing his habits. Avoid sugar, sodium and saturated fat. What's left to eat???? I started re-reading the South Beach Diet, and I think that is what he really needs. I printed out the food list and sent him on his way.

So I was wondering what I was gonna make for dinner. No more grabbing dinner on the way home from Karate class...even if we make a low fat choice, fast food is full of sodium. I threw some chicken in the crock pot, and searched the pantry for something to throw in there with it. I usually do a can of stewed tomatoes...but they're full of sodium. I also sometimes throw in a can of cream of mushroom...but its full of sodium. It's a bummer that Sam's Club sells the "standard" stuff only...not the low sodium or low fat version. I'll have to head to the actual grocery store..or maybe Henry's.

But guess what? I had some fresh tomatoes, so I chopped them up and threw them on the chicken, and then a diced onion, and then some sliced fresh mushrooms. I sprinkled some garlic powder, some fresh ground black pepper, a PINCH of salt, and then as an afterthought...1/2 cup of white wine. See? I CAN make a fresh healthy meal!!

Wow, has it been 10 minute already? Better hit the road...

1 comment:

  1. Well the reason you are blogging 10 minutes before picking up little boy is because you are a blog junkie! lol

    Hubby and health is really a hard thing to deal with. You want what's good for him but don't know how to do it. I have the same issue for one of my lil boys. It's confusing and difficult because we were raised on refried beans and "manteca" hehe Whoever thought eating would be such a difficult task. The only thing I want to say to you is that you are one of the smartest women I know and you will find a way. I love that about you. Don't get discouraged... You Rock! (Like Stryper!!!) LOL

    ReplyDelete